Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tibby's Tricky Tuesday!

Happy Inauguration Day!I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Today we will learn another pawsome trick I know!
I bet President Obama has done lots of this today!

WAVE

Here's what your owner should do:

1. Don't forget to get some yummy, delicious doggy treats!

2. This trick is bet taught after your dog already knows high five or shake! Have your dog sit.

3. Give your dog the signal or command for high five, when your dog lifts his paw move your hand away and say "wave" and give a yummy treat!

4. After a few times only give the command "wave". At first have your dog lift her paw once but after she gets the hang of it, have her lift it twice before getting a treat.

5. As your dog gets better at this trick, you can try moving further away to give the command and use a dedicated hand signal (my Owner Girl does a open palm wave, like a windsheild wiper). I wouldn't recommend using a wave where you fold your fingers down because it can look a lot like the signal for speak.

6. As always keep training sessions short and fun for your dog! Don't get frustrated if your dog isn't getting the command you are working on. Move on to a different one that she knows well instead and revisit the new one at another time.

Also, these are just the steps that worked for me and Owner Girl. If they are not working for you don't worry! There are many other resources and professionals that can help you find the best way for you and your dog!

Good luck and happy training everyone!

29 comments:

Katie and Gizmo said...

Hi Tibby,
I wanna learn this neat trick. Thanks for telling my mum how to teach it to me.

I added you to my pal list also.

Hugz
Gizmo

Anonymous said...

Hi Tibby! Oh boy, Tricky Tuesday! I think waving sounds great! I especially like waving both front paws at once.

Your pal,
Joey

Teddy Bear said...

Tibby, you give great instructions. That is just the way my parents thought me to WAVE.

Love,
Teddy Bear

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Do you have remedial khlasses fur Siberians?


Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Mason Dixie said...

Hello Tibby. I see you every where and thought I would stop and say hi. =)

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Great training tip - but as Khyra said above - we're Sibes - & we train R humes not always the ones who get trained!!

-da boys, Cosmos & Juneau-

Abby said...

Hi, Tibby...

We're gonna try this trick...

You said you weren't sure who you were playing the Pay It Forward Game with...It was me & I will be sending your surprise out this weekend...

Abby xxxooo

Lorenza said...

Hi, Tibby!
That is a PAWesome trick!
Good job!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

Hi Tibby

Thanks for dropping by our blog. We wanted to return the favor. Mommy may try to teach Tucker your trick. Daisy doesn't do tricks, she is too impatient.

Tucker and Daisy

Bogart said...

Hullo, Tibby. Thanks for visiting me but you see I don't blog as often as my brother Sweepy who loves to bark non-stop.

Of course, we can all be friends! But I'm sorry I can't do the wave though. Only my Popsy Sumo can do that! We're pretty lazy, duh.

Your New Friend,
Bogart
of the HoundsInHeaven

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Thanks for sharing the tip Tibby, we might give it a go, we can already high-five!
Slobbers xx

Behr Behr said...

Hey, cute trick. We Dane puppies like to hit everything and everyone with our paw, so this should be a natural for me. Mom's got to teach me the "magic word" tho.

Behr Behr :)

the Pawsitive puppy girl :)

Here's a photo of me using that big paw of mine-
http://behrrake.wordpress.com/2008/12/14/talk-to-the-paw/

Molly the Airedale said...

You are very smart, Tibby! We want to learn this trick too!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Ruby and Penny said...

Hi Tibby
I loved the video and lesson. You are so cute.
Love Ruby

Fenway said...

Excellent wave trick, Tibby. Did you hail our new Commander-in-Chief? You know you can always wave to me, your Commander-in-Beef!

We shall try and learn your trick, but I am slow to shake paw, which is strange for a border collie.

Nice Obamaicon. Your whiskers make the graphic look terrific!

Your pal,
Fenway

Wei Qian said...

wow, thanks for sharing ((:

best regards

Hansel said...

right now mommeh iz jus tryin ta teach dat woofie sits. him sits fur treats but doesna listen well offur wise. her finks dat breeder jus gaf treats an treats an treats.

Kelly said...

Tibby, you are the smartest! Momma says I have lots of good traits... but intelligence isn't my strongest... What does that mean?! :)

The Devil Dog said...

Thank you for the training tips. I hope mom doesn't use them on me, hee hee

Roxy

Anonymous said...

Good trick, Tibby! Looks like good treats, too.

Woof!
Sophy

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Tibby
LOVE your Obamaicon.
You received your awards... you are welcome.
Woof! Sugar

Nika + PARKER said...

Hi Tibby! Really cool trick!

We are looking forward to reading your blog.

Nika + Parker
woofdiary.blogspot.com

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Great trick Tibby. Louie and Callie come when we wave out hand over our head. They expect their treat then.. How else would you get a deaf dog to come??

Gig Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Salinger The Pug said...

AAAAHHHHHHHHH it works!!! I can wave now!!!

I kept trying to "high five" but I GOT it!

YAY!

Thanks!

Love,
S-Dog

Chrissie said...

You've definitely got your OG trained to give you treats, Tibby! Yum!

Cowspotdog said...

that's a great trick...and love your poster...very cute

AppleDebbie said...

Wow Tibby, you are so talented! I tried to wave at your picture on the computer screen but I'm not very good at waving yet. I'll keep practicing, I promise!

Your Pal,
Trooper

Dexter said...

Tibby,
I think we can learn that one. I already know how to shake hands. Can you ask your Owner Girl what her hand signal is for wave?

Slobbers,
Mango

Morgan in Pittsburgh said...

Thats a really good wave Tibby, and your obamicon turned out super cool!
Your pal Morgan