Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tibby's Tricky Tuesday!

Happy Election Day everybody! I hope you all got out there to cast your vote, too bad dogs don't have voting rights or I would have been all over it. This weeks trick is a great one to do with your owner when they get back from voting!

HIGH FIVEOf course your owner will have to teach you first so here's what they should do:

1. Get some yummy treats for motivation.

2. Have your dog sit.

3. Hold your hand up palm facing out towards your dog. Keep your hand at your dog's shoulder and relatively close to her (about 1 ft away) at first.

4. Say "high five" and tap your palm with your other hand. If your dog taps your hand with her paw, great! You can just keep repeating the exercise phasing out the treats.

5. If your dog doesn't high five right away you can gently lift her paw and guide it to your hand. Say "high five" when her paw touches your palm.

6. It shouldn't take long for your dog to start lifting her paw to you all by herself. As your dog gets more confident with this trick you can move your hand a little higher and further away. Just make sure that it's not too hard or uncomfortable for your dog to reach your hand.

7. That's all there is to it! Before you know it you will be giving your best friend a high five after telling a great joke, finding out your favorite meal is for dinner or even exercising your right to vote!

Difficulty: 1 Paw out of 5
And here's one more high five for all you voters out there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tibby!

Thanks for signing my Guestbook! I like your blog - especially all the tips on tricks! My humans also teach me lots of tricks and sometimes we put it to music and dance together :)

My best friend is a Standard Schnauzer! His name is Ombre and he really knows how to boss me around! People think it's funny because he's so little and I'm so big - but I always listen to him! :) You can find out more about Ombre and my other doggie friends on the "Honey's Friends" page...
Hey - and check out my latest blog post about these cool training games I played last weekend!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
ps. I will add you to my friends' blog list!